Ending enforcement of child support past due amounts owed to the state that the Department has determined to be uncollectible
Business Problem/Opportunity: With the passage of AB 135, the Department has been mandated to eliminate past due child support for individuals whose state-owed debt is deemed uncollectible.
Current Status: 73% completed
- Remove barriers, such as uncollectible debt, that has been identified as impeding efficient and timely child support payments
- In reducing uncollectible debt, the end goal is to eliminate any new uncollectible debt accrual
Critical Success Factors: Child Support Enforcement System changes, including but not limited to removing automated enforcement actions for the mandatory populations identified in AB 135. Increase collections by making state-owed debt more manageable. Decrease uncollectible arrears owed to the state. Improve long-term program effectiveness by reducing enforcement workload on uncollectible debt
- Progress: Ending Enforcement of Uncollectible Debt – AB 135 73% 73%
Explore the possibility of providing customers more autonomy over their child support case
Business Problem/Opportunity: California Child Support Services will create flexible case management services to allow customers more autonomy over their child support case. Eligible participants can choose from three enforcement suppression options to meet their child support obligations. Flexible case management will be implemented manually at the local level using existing authorities, without prompting Child Support Enforcement system changes or proposing legislative activity.
Current Status: 50% completed
- Increase in new customers in the child support program and new and existing cases participating in flexible case management
- Increase in payments from cases that participate in flexible case management
- Improved customer satisfaction with case services
Critical Success Factors: Increase in new cases, customer satisfaction, and payments
- Progress: Explore Giving Customers More Control or Flexibility in Case Management 50% 50%
2022 - Increased Support to Families - COMPLETED - Distributing an additional $2.5M on average per month to California families
Explore providing customers with more support and money in their child support case
Business Problem/Opportunity: In response to the passage of Assembly Bill 79, the Child Support Enforcement system design must be changed to increase the support passed through to aided families.
Current Status: 100% completed
- Child Support Enforcement system enhancements to improve case services
- Child Support Enforcement interface with IV-A software system
- Increased money to families
- Distributing an additional $2.5M on average per month to California families
Critical Success Factors: Child Support Enforcement will receive information regarding family unit from IV-A software interface. Increased support successfully distributed to persons receiving support
2020 - Payment without Mandatory IWO - MOVED
* Rolled into Flexible Case Management
Pilot a program that allows paying parents to fulfill their child support order without a required income withholding order
- Implement a pilot program that allows paying parents to make child support payments without an income withholding order
Current Status: Moved
2020 - Explore Parenting Time Orders - WITHDRAWN
* Grant application window did not allow for timely submission of project
2020 Explore Ability To Establish Parenting Time Orders
Business Problem/Opportunity: To write a grant proposal seeking federal funding from the Office of Child Support Enforcement through the Access and Visitation grants. The goal is to develop programs and parenting time options for child support participants.
Current Status: Withdrawn/closed
- If the grant is approved, California Child Support Services will have the opportunity to provide greater customer engagement by having a resource available regarding custody and visitation issues.
- Options to explore are: mediation, development of parenting plans, education, counseling, visitation enforcement, and development of guidelines for visitation and alternative custody arrangements
Critical Success Factors: Increased customer satisfaction and better collaboration between California Child Support Services and Family Law Facilitators/Court Mediators
2020 - Accessibility Updates - COMPLETED
Update documents on the California Child Support Services website for accessibility
Business Problem/Opportunity: Ensure all California Child Support Services applications (Arrears Calculator, Online Application, brochures, and Public Facing Guideline Calculator) are compliant with the accessibility standards.
Current Status: 100% completed
- Ensure all California Child Support Services applications (Arrears Calculator, Online Application, brochures, and Public Facing Guideline Calculator) are compliant with the accessibility standards
Critical Success Factors: Updated portions of the California Child Support Services website for easier accessibility