Update Employer Information

The information you provide will be used to issue notices to the appropriate addresses and individuals

Employer Resource Center

Employer handbook and other useful resources

Employer FAQs

Answers to some of the most frequently asked questions by category

Employer Forms

Income withholdings, status reports, refund and stop payment requests, and other employer forms

Reporting New Hires

Employers must report all new or rehired employees to the New Employee Registry

Employer Events

Online and in-person workshops for employers


Under state and federal law, employers are required to remit all California child support income withholding payments to the California State Disbursement Unit (SDU). This includes any child support payments the employer may be currently sending to individuals. California law requires that these payments be sent electronically.

For assistance with redirecting payments from individuals to the SDU, call 1-866-901-3212. Visit the SDU webpage for more information. Please note, to view the page and make payments, open the page in Microsoft Edge and set your browser preferences to allow cookies. The SDU page will not work properly if cookies are blocked. Go to “Settings”, select “Preferences” and under “Privacy”, make sure “Block Cookies” is set to “Never”.

Please Remember

Income withholding is the FIRST resort for collection and does not imply any failure to pay by the employee. Any employer who fires, disciplines, or refuses to hire an employee based upon an income withholding order may be assessed additional civil penalties.

Electronic Payments

California businesses are required to submit payments electronically to the SDU per California Family Code section 17309.5. The SDU offers three electronic payment options:

Bank to Bank Transfer (ACH Credit)

This service allows employers to instruct their financial institution to automatically transmit child support payments, along with child support income withholding data, directly to the SDU.  For details on this payment method, see the EFT Employer Information Guide. To enroll in this option or more information, call us at 1-866-901-3212 and select Option 1.

Debit or Credit Card

This service allows employers to make payments by electronic debit from a checking or savings account, or with a Visa or MasterCard credit card. To enroll, visit the ExpertPay website

By Phone

Once enrolled in EFT, employers have the option to make payments by phone by calling 1-866-901-3212 and selecting option 1.

Bulk-File Upload

The SDU also offers Bulk-File Upload capabilities for employers with multiple employees/independent contractors with IWOs. The bulk upload option is free and no software application is needed.

To use this payment option, create a text file with employee-related payment details such as employee’s name, Participant ID, payment amount and date. Save the text file to your desktop to use again, updating only related information with each submission. For assistance, call 1-866-901-3212 or e-mail casdu-electronichelpdesk@dcss.ca.gov.

Remitting by Check for Out-Of-State Employers

Out of state employers can send checks to this address only:

California State Disbursement Unit
P.O. Box 989067
West Sacramento, CA 95798-9067

If an employer has more than one employee with a child support obligation, the payments may be combined into a single check. When paying by check, regardless of the number of employees, it is essential to include the following information for each employee:

  • Employee name/Independent contractor name
  • Child Support Enforcement (CSE) case number
  • CSE Participant Identification Number
  • Employee’s Social Security Number
  • Pay Date
  • The amount withheld for each employee
  • Company contact name and phone number

Failure to Withhold

Employers who fail to withhold the amounts as specified on the IWO may be found liable for the full amount of the support owed, plus a fine.  Under certain circumstances, a willful failure to withhold is punishable by contempt of court. In addition, the court may order payment by electronic funds transfer from the employer’s bank account if the employer has willfully failed to withhold the required support.